Tuesday 26 November 2013

Metamorphosis of a Display Cabinet


I'm a sucker for old shop fittings, lab equipment, etc.  I'm also a danger to my bank balance when I end up at what I consider to be a good auction. If I spot something that I really like, I'm like a Bull Terrier that won't let go. Somewhere in the bidding process, I'll put up my hand and just keep it there! Very, very bad for business if you're buying to resell.







That is how we ended up with 2 odd sized, 5 ft high, glass-fronted wooden cabinets in our home.  I loved the great big sliding doors and all the glass shelves, but the lack in height and a few missing moulding pieces, together with the fact that it had far too many layers of reddish brown varnish slapped onto it, made it less than perfect.  It was in need of some alterations.

So, out came the plans, the tools and the paint! After a fair amount of sketching, measuring, sawing and hammering, the first huge cabinet emerged, complete with extra storage for bulky objects in its new base and secret compartments in the top section. These were constructed from 16mm MDF board. We added 3mm MDF cut-outs for detail to the top, bottom and sides and topped it off with a wide cornice piece. All this newly added detail changed the whole style of the display cabinet and it was screaming: "Paint me in a two-tone...or more! And it had better be casein paint!"  I obeyed.  











But first I had to sand it down to key the wood. Then I mixed my own primer and applied that. Next up was the paint. I mixed various shades of grey casein paint and applied several layers. Then I distressed it (which is always the best part), sealed it and started filling it with tableware. I decided to keep it simple - white crockery, pewter, silver, glass and crystal.











We love flavoured teas and coffee and I thought that these can also be stored in the cupboard,  providing they meet the colour regulations.  





I was left with one gap. A space behind the plates.   It needed something with height. So I had a look around the studio for an object that would do the trick and my eye fell on my angel plaque from the FARRAGOZ Patina PROJECTS Course... 








...et VoilĂ !








Bistro tables, paired with French country rush seat chairs, complete our own private French CafĂ© when we're thousands of miles away from our favourite city.





These days I just stay away from auctions altogether. We no longer have a shop and the house is bursting at the seams as it is.  Besides, it is so much more fun creating your own "antiques".  And the 2nd cabinet?  Well, that's a story for another day.


Tania 

xxx




This post was linked with:
Savvy Southern Style 
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
That DIY Party 
Three Mango Seeds 
Thrifty Life Thursday  
Grace at Home 
Creative Inspirations 
Share Your Cup Thursday 
Project Inspire{d} 
Inspire Me Monday 
Amaze Me Monday 
Frugal Crafty Home 
Inspiration Monday 
DIY Sunday Showcase
Knick of Time Tuesday
Inspire Me Tuesday 
The Wednesday Roundup 
Feathered Nest Friday 
Share It One More Time
Turn It Up Tuesday

#patina #paint #grey #frenchgrey #paintedfurniture  #distressedpaint #paintcourse #onlinecourse #paintfinishes #farragoz #wornpaint #distressedpaint #oldpaint #antiquelook #antiquefinish #caseinpaint #homemadepaint #traditionalrecipe #traditionalpaint #scuffedpaint #scuffed #paintrecipe #diy #frenchstyle #farmhousestyle #Paris #French #parisianstyle #France #handpainted #upcycle #shabbychic #shadesofgrey #gray #frenchgray #greypaint #graypaint #displaycabinet #learnonline #FrenchCafe #frenchcountry #bistro #antiques #AngelPlaque#painting #classes #paintingclasses #paintinglessons #paintingtutorials #courses #paintingcourses #traditionalcrafts #crafts




1 comment:

  1. Tania, you created such a beautiful patina on the cabinet. Love the soft shades of gray.

    ReplyDelete